Built as a new home for the publisher, Walter Blackie, Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s finest domestic work is situated in Helensburgh. The Hill House was built between 1902 and 1904, with further work by Mackintosh in 1912. The interior design and furniture are remarkably well preserved. ***The House is closing on 4th July and will re-open in December 2018.***
The Hill House
Mackintosh’s domestic masterpiece combines traditional Scottish architectural values with modern international aspirations. Delicately stenciled interior decoration using designs of roses, thistles & other plants creates the feel of an indoor garden enhanced by clever use of abundant natural light provided by the open site, overlooking the Firth of Clyde.
The stylish fittings & furniture, include Mackintosh’s famous ladder back chairs. Beautiful decorative coloured glass & tiles are used throughout.
Mackintosh’s wife Margaret Macdonald also produced work for the Hill House, such as her widely admired gesso panel “The Sleeping Princess”, above the drawing room fireplace. Building started in 1902 & the house was ready for the Blackie family to move into in 1904. Intended very much as a family house, it was practical as well as beautiful. The garden provided fruit & vegetables as well as pleasant spaces to sit out or to play tennis or croquet.
***PLEASE NOTE: THE HILL HOUSE WILL CLOSE FROM 4TH JULY UNTIL DECEMBER 2018***
Plan your visit
The Hill House
8 Upper Colquhoun Street
Helensburgh G84 9AJ
View on map
1 April to 31 October ::
Mon to Sun :: 11:30 - 17:30
(last admission :: 17:00)
It is recommended that visitors allow at least an hour to visit the house.
THE HOUSE WILL CLOSE FROM 4TH JULY - DECEMBER 2018
Adult :: £10.50
Concession / child :: £7.50
(2 adults & 4 children under 17) :: £24.50
1 parent family ticket
(1 adult & 4 children under 17) :: £18
Children under 5 :: Free
Members of the National Trust for Scotland or any other national trust are admitted free, on production of their current membership cards.